Insurance and Real Estate Sales Occupations and Buyers

Insurance sales agents and brokers sell life, automobile, property and health insurance to individuals, businesses and public institutions. Brokers purchase insurance from companies on behalf of clients. Real estate agents and salespersons assist individuals and companies in the sale and purchase of houses, apartments, commercial buildings, land and other real estate. Retail and wholesale buyers purchase merchandise from suppliers such as manufacturers, importers, and brokers for sale in retail and wholesale organizations.


  • High school diploma.
  • Degree or diploma in business administration or financial management may be a valuable asset.
  • Insurance agents require on-the-job training and completion of an industry sponsored course and/or training program.
  • Real estate agents are required to take a real estate training program.
  • Both insurance and real estate agents require a territorial license to operate in the NWT.