Paralegals, Social Services Workers and Occupations in Education and Religion, n.e.c.

Paralegals, legal assistants and law clerks work in law offices preparing legal documents, maintaining records and files and conducting interviews and research. Community and social service workers interview clients to obtain case histories, assess skills, prepare intake reports, assess and investigate client eligibility for social benefits and advise clients on things like social assistance benefits and pensions. Career counsellors provide assistance to, counsel and inform clients about job searches or career planning. Early childhood educators plan and organize activities for pre-school and school age children.


  • High school diploma.
  • Paralegals, legal assistants and law clerks require an undergraduate degree in law or a college diploma in a legal assistant/law clerk program and/or on-the-job training.
  • Community and social service workers require an undergraduate or college degree in social work, child and youth care, counselling or a degree in another area of social science. Some workers may have previous experience as volunteers or in a support capacity which may replace formal education.
  • Career counsellors need an undergraduate degree or college diploma in a field like psychology, social services or education. Several years experience in counselling services may substitute for formal training.

Future Prospects:

These occupations will see some moderate and sustained increases in employment over the next ten years.

Job Prospects

Current Workforce:

Approximately 89.8% of workers in this occupational group are women. About 48.2% of employees working in these occupations live in Yellowknife, 19.1% live in the regional centres of Inuvik, Hay River and Fort Smith and 32.6% live in other communities. About 49.3% are employed in the Public Administration industry and 35.6% in the Health Care and Social Assistance sector.