College and Other Vocational Instructors

Nationally, this group includes instructors who teach applied arts, academic, technical and vocational subjects to students enrolled in community colleges, CEGEPs, technical institutes, language schools, bible colleges and other vocational schools. It also includes trainers employed by companies and governments to administer internal training and development courses.


  • College diploma or undergraduate degree.
  • College instructors who teach university transfer courses require a graduate degree.
  • Trades instructors require expert experience and a certification of qualification (must be a journeyperson) in their trade. Trades instructors must also complete an adult basic education program.
  • Instructors in adult basic education usually require a university degree in education.

Future Prospects:

These occupations will have little change in employment levels in the future.

Job Prospects

Current Workforce:

Approximately 42.2% of workers in this occupational group are women. About 41.7% of employees working in these occupations live in Yellowknife, 41.7% live in the regional centres of Inuvik, Hay River and Fort Smith and 16.7% live in other communities. About 72.8% are employed in the Educational Services industry and 12.8% in the Public Administration sector.