Psychologists, Social Workers, Counsellors, Clergy and Probation Officers

Psychologists assess behaviour and diagnose behavioural, emotional and cognitive disorders and provide therapy by researching and applying theory relating to behaviour and mental processes. Social workers, parole and probation officers interview clients individually, in families or in groups to assess situations and problems and determine type of remedies required. Family, grief and addictions counsellors and marriage therapists interview clients, prepare case histories, assess problems and conduct vocational training and psychometric assessment.


  • Psychologists require a graduate university degree in psychology and they must be registered with a regulatory body in all provinces and the NWT. A masters or doctoral degree is required to practice in the NWT. Most jurisdictions require a supervised practicum prior to entering practice and additional training and experience may lead to becoming qualified in a particular area.
  • Social workers usually have a bachelor of social work (BSW) degree. Those in senior or supervisory positions may require a masterís of social work (MSW).
  • Family, grief and addictions counsellors and marriage therapists usually have a masters degree in counselling, mental health or a related social service field. You must also be a member of a territorial association, meet strict graduate education criteria and complete specific supervised clinical work.

Future Prospects:

These occupations will have small but sustained increases in employment over the next ten years.

Job Prospects

Current Workforce:

Approximately 64.5% of workers in this occupational group are women. About 51.2% of employees working in these occupations live in Yellowknife, 21.4% live in the regional centres of Inuvik, Hay River and Fort Smith and 27.4% live in other communities. About 46.5% are employed in the Health Care and Social Assistance industry and 44.8% in the Public Administration sector.