Transportation Officers and Controllers

People in this occupational grouping are employed by airline and airfreight companies, flying schools, the Armed Forces and other public and private sector aircraft operators.


  • High school diploma.
  • Diploma from certified flying or aviation school.
  • Commercial pilotís license (pilots and flight instructors).
  • Transport Canada ratings and endorsements (flight instructors).
  • Completion of Transport Canada approved training program (air traffic controllers).
  • Air traffic controllers require a license.
  • Basic radio telephone operatorís license.

Future Prospects:

These occupations will have sustained increases in employment over the next few years, peaking in 2017. Subsequently, employment growth will level out, but the new employment opportunities will continue into the future.

Job Prospects

Current Workforce:

Approximately 8.0% of workers in this occupational group are women. About 74.9% of employees working in these occupations live in Yellowknife, 13.4% live in the regional centres of Inuvik, Hay River and Fort Smith and 11.7% live in other communities. About 89.7% are employed in the Transportation and Warehousing industry and 10.3% in the Public Administration sector.