Architects, Urban Planners and Land Surveyors

Architects think up, plan and develop designs for the construction and renovation of buildings in consultation with clients. Land surveyors plan, direct and conduct legal surveys to establish property boundaries and prepare and maintain official plans, records and documents pertaining to these surveys. Landscape architects develop landscape designs and oversee the landscaping of commercial projects, office complexes, parks, golf courses and residences. Urban and land use planners prepare and recommend land development plans for urban and rural areas and remote regions.


  • High school diploma.
  • Undergraduate degree from an accredited school of architecture or completion of the syllabus of studies from the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC).
  • Urban and land use planners and surveyors require a university degree in urban and regional planning, geography, architecture, engineering or a related discipline.
  • Student architects are required to complete a three-year apprenticeship under the supervision of a registered architect.
  • Some occupations may require a graduate degree.
  • Completion of the architect registration examination.
  • Registration with the province or territory in which you work may be required.
  • Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.

Future Prospects:

These occupations will continue to be impacted by natural resource development in the NWT. As a result there will be high employment levels during these projects, but the duration of these jobs will be medium-term with only a few of the new employment opportunities continuing into the future.

Job Prospects